Child Abuse & Neglect
Child Abuse is maltreatment or non-accidental serious harm to a child by any person age fourteen years or older.
4 Basic Types of Abuse
Child neglect is failure by a parent or caregiver to provide basic needs of a child (health, welfare, and safety).
7 Basic Types of Neglect
- Failure to thrive - poor growth pattern
- Inadequate clothing/personal hygiene -consistently dirty; severe body odor; insufficient clothing for weather
- Inadequate food - begs or steals food or money; malnutrition
- Inadequate shelter - constant fatigue, listlessness, falls asleep
- Inadequate supervision - left alone, truancy
- Medical neglect
To anonymously report suspected child abuse or neglect, please contact the Jefferson County Department of Human Resources (DHR) at (205) 423-4850.