Extended Day Program
For more information, contact the school's Extended Day Program:
Edgewood Elementary School: 205-423-2405
Hall-Kent Elementary School: 205-423-2435
Shades Cahaba Elementary School: 205-870-8854
Afterschool Care Changes Starting This Summer
To provide our students with curriculum-based afterschool activities that are focused on learning and fun, Homewood City Schools will partner with the YMCA for after school/extended day programs.
This summer, the YMCA will host Summer Day Camp at Edgewood Elementary School. Next school year (August 2024), the afterschool program will continue to operate at each Homewood elementary school and Homewood Middle School. Please see the information below regarding the YMCA afterschool program.
What are the benefits of this partnership?
The YMCA’s afterschool childcare program is designed to help students succeed developmentally and academically by offering comprehensive, age-appropriate programs to extend the school day while providing each student with a fun and supportive environment.
- The YMCA will work closely with school staff to align afterschool enrichment with the educational content offered to students during school.
- The YMCA will use its staffing model to ensure the highest quality and trained staff within the afterschool program. All staff undergo rigorous training requirements throughout the school year including safety and first aid training.
- The YMCA will not turn anyone away due to their inability to pay. Through the YMCA’s Annual Campaign, dollars are raised yearly to provide financial assistance to families who qualify.
- The daily activities offered through the YMCA afterschool program are fun, active, and engaging!
Summer Day Camp - June & July 2024
- The Summer Day Camp will be held at Edgewood Elementary School this summer. Summer Camp will continue to rotate at the elementary schools each year.
- Program Hours: 7 am - 6 pm
- Curriculum: Campers will experience the adventure and excitement of the outdoors daily, make friends that will last a lifetime, and express their growing independence under the supervision of trained and qualified YMCA camp staff! Camp activities include but are not limited to arts and crafts, songs, games, dancing, STEM, swimming, sports, and more! Campers will participate in open programming hours where they can choose their day. This will give the students opportunities to enjoy activities most important to them and build upon skills.
- Cost: Participants will pay a weekly rate of $146 per child. Families will choose which weeks their children will attend at the time of registration. There will be a one-time registration fee and deposit to secure their space each week. Payments are due each Wednesday for the next week. Scholarships are awarded based on household income.
Afterschool Care - Starting August 2024
The YMCA’s innovative after-school programs are centered around nine research-based core components: academic enrichment, creative arts, physical activity, STEM, and more. Daily lesson plans will be developed to meet each school's current needs and align with the school day.
- Program Hours: The program will be open each day school is in session until 6 pm.
- Snacks will be served daily to each child.
- Cost: The YMCA afterschool program will charge a monthly rate for all participants of $216 (a $36 increase from HCS’ current program) and a one-time registration fee. Scholarships are awarded based on household income.
There will not be any changes made to Homewood City Schools afterschool programs (EDP and After the Bell) this semester. Registration for the Summer Day Camp at Edgewood is available here and registration for the afterschool care program will be posted on April 8.
Click here to learn more about the YMCA's Afterschool Program.